Thursday, February 21, 2008

How Much is that Doggie in the Window: The True Cost of Buying a Pet-Store Puppy, Part I

I know I may be preaching to the choir here, but please, please, PLEASE, do NOT buy a dog from a pet store, EVER! PERIOD! And, NEVER, EVER buy a puppy online.

Pet store puppies and internet puppies are one in the same. The are produced in puppy mills, which are giant puppy factories, where hundreds of breeding dogs are confined to tiny cages for their entire lives with little or no vet care, no socialization, and absolutely no love whatsoever. Their sole purpose is to produce as many puppies as possible before their worn out bodies break down, and they are tossed out like trash. These dogs live horrific lives. And by purchasing a dog from a pet store or online, you are directly supporting this industry and the cruelty endured by the parent dogs.

I'm always amazed by how often I run into people that don't know anything about puppy mills. And call me an "animal rights nut" or whatever you will, but I think the pictures of these poor animals make it more than evident that the puppy mill industry must be stopped.

CAUTION: This may be difficult to watch for sensitive viewers.



Here are just a few links to get you started:

The Humane Society of the United States, Stop Puppy Mills site
Prisoners of Greed
United Against Puppy Mills
Petstore Cruelty

0 comments: